Wild Mushroom Hunter’s Soup
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh Porcini, Wood Ear, Golden Enoki mushrooms
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced white or yellow onions
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or canned diced tomatoes in juice
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 ruby port or amontillado sherry
- 2 tbsp. finely grated lemon zest
- Freshly grated Parmigiano or Asiago cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Slice the wild mushrooms thickly (at least 1/8 inch) and set aside. In a deep saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and cook the onions and garlic over medium heat until they are lightly golden.
While the onion mixture is cooking, in a separate saute pan over high heat, saute the mushrooms in the remaining olive oil until they are cooked through and lightly browned. Add the mushrooms to the saucepan with the onion mixture along with the tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the port and lemon zest. Taste and season with salt and pepper just before serving. Serve in warm bowls or mugs garnished with a good sprinkling of cheese and chopped fresh herbs.