Aunt Nancy’s Sausage-Stuffed Mushrooms
- 16 extra-large white mushrooms, caps and stems separated
- 5 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Marsala wine
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3/4 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (6 scallions)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup panko
- 5 ounces mascarpone or Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 350.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 tbsps and crumbled sausage together. Cook the sausage until completely browned. To the skillet, mix in the mushroom stems and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and scallions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the panko breadcrumbs and mix. Fold in the cream cheese until it has melted and the mixture has a creamy consistency. Stir in Parmesan and parsley. Let cool.
Fill each mushroom with the mixture. Bake for 50 minutes until browned.